A list of the common collocations with the word give
- He gave me good advice.
Give an answer
- John always gives perfect answers in class.
- She gave birth to a beautiful girl.
Give a chance (provide opportunity or space/time)
- He gave me a chance and I took it gladly.
Give a choice
- I was given no choice; I had to go to the boring lecture.
Give credit (lend money/acknowledge someone’s role)
- I hope the bank gives us credit.
- Newspapers give credit to their photographers.
Give an example
- John gave Iceland as an example of a cold country.
Give a headache
- That loud music is giving me a headache.
Give a hug or a kiss
- Come here and give me a kiss!
Give the impression
- That man gave the impression he wasn’t telling the whole truth.
Give a lecture, speech or performance
- The president will give a long speech.
Give an opinion
- Many people gave their opinion at the meeting.
- On British roundabouts you give priority to traffic from the right.
Give up (quit)
- I gave up smoking after 20 years.
Leave your email and never miss another post