We use female and male to talk about the sex of people, animals and plants.
- A female lion is called a lioness.
- A male deer is called a stag.
- How do we tell the difference between male and female plants?
We use feminine and masculine to talk about qualities and behaviours associated with men and women.
- Chopping down trees is a very masculine thing to do.
- The colour scheme is very feminine.
Note: Do not use male and female when men and women should be used.
- These jobs are reserved for women (not
You can download these lessons as fully navigable PDFs at bridger-jones.com