What is the difference between complement and compliment?
Complement – that which completes/adds to/augments
- The ship now has its full complement
- We currently have a full complement of staff.
Verb (to add to in a favourable way)
- These shoes greatly complement the outfit.
- The speech was complemented by jokes in the right places.
- This sauce complements fish and chicken.
Compliment – polite praise
- He paid her compliments every day.
- The boss paid me an enormous compliment when she endorsed my project.
- He complimented her every day.
- The boss complimented me with her endorsement.
Connect with me: