A list of common uses of the word pay with example sentences
Pay a fine
- If you break the law, you sometimes have to pay a fine.
- Pupils who pay attention at school perform better in exams.
Pay by credit card
- You can shop online and pay by credit card.
- Can I pay cash or should I pay by credit card?
- If you take a loan, you always have to pay interest.
(Interest = a charge for borrowed money generally a percentage of the amount borrowed)
Pay someone a compliment
- She feels good when he pays her a compliment.
Pay someone a visit
- Every Sunday John and Jane pay their mother a visit.
Pay the bill
- John always insists on paying the bill.
Pay one’s respects
- Solomon died and the brothers went to the funeral to pay their respects.