What is the difference between lose and loose?
Lose is a verb
to cease to have or retain; be deprived of; no longer have possession of; become unable to find
- Don’t lose the car keys.
- Madrid will lose the football match.
- Jane lost the baby in childbirth.
Loose is an adjective and a verb
Adjective: not tight or firm; not well-fitting; not safely in place
- My shirt is big and loose.
- The dog is loose.
- The little girl had a loose tooth.
Verb: to release; to set free
- He loosed the attack dogs.