Read the lesson, then take the quiz.
To live somewhere is to be there permanently and to stay somewhere is to be there temporarily.
Live = Permanent (Live here is a verb. Do not confuse with the adjective/adverb live (Rhymes with five).
Stay = Temporary
- Where do you live? I live in a house. I live in Berlin. I live in Germany.
- Where did you stay in France? I stayed in a hotel. I stayed on a campsite.
- You go to the shops and I’ll stay here.
- I’m staying with friends while I search for an apartment.
Test your knowledge
1. Which sentence is correct?
Where did you stay when you visited Paris?
Where did you live when you visited Paris?
Where did you remain when you visited Paris?
2. Which sentence is correct?
I have lived in a small house all my life.
I have stayed in a small house all my life.
I have remained in a small house all my life.