How do I use the question mark?
The question mark (?) is used at the end of direct questions.
1. Direct questions.
- Is this really the quickest way home?
- What is your favourite colour?
- Which way did she vote?
2. Indirect questions (do not use the question mark).
- She asked him if it was really the quickest way home.
- She asked him what is his favourite colour.
- I wonder which way she voted.
3. Embedded questions.
- We can get to Scotland quicker, can’t we, if we take the low road?
4. A series of questions.
If the series is related to the initial question, use the question mark after each question and start each question section with a lower case letter.
- Which are the biggest animals? elephants? cows? or cats?
5. Rhetorical questions.
Rhetorical questions are used to make statements and are not really asked with the expectation of an answer.
- If we don’t use punctuation properly, what’s the point?
If a sentence ends with a punctuated abbreviation, use the question mark.
- Does he still work in I.T.?
7. Questions as polite requests.
Do not use the question mark after a question that is formed as a polite request.
- Will everyone who has a priority boarding pass please move to the front of the queue.
Do you have any questions?